With the holiday season quickly approaching it’s a great time to plan ahead for those holiday gatherings. You may have heard the phrase “A plan to be prepared, is a plan to succeed,” something like that is often discussed in our weight loss surgery support groups.
Here are 5 tips to consider as you prepare for your next holiday gathering:
1. Prepare your mind for the event – Have a plan! Reflect on past holiday experiences, and evaluate what lies ahead this year for you.
2. Bring a meat or vegetable appetizer – Bring something that you can eat so you won’t go hungry or risk binging on fattening fare.
3. Put a healthy twist to your favorite recipe – You can enjoy some of your yuletide favorites without sacrificing your goals. Let’s say you grew up eating the classic green bean casserole. Choose a fat-free mushroom soup instead of the heavy cream version, and spring just a handful of fried onions atop the casserole as opposed to the whole can.
4. Start new traditions – Plan to take a walk or play touch football with relative instead of having an extended food fest. Regular exercise will help you maintain weight loss.
5. Give away leftovers! – Don’t keep leftovers lying around. Donate the excess to a local homeless shelter or put it in leftover containers for family members and friends to take home.
How are you preparing for your next holiday gathering?